Monday, 26 January 2009

THE NEXT STEP

Coghlan and Brannick (2005) have provided some interesting reading, although i struggled a little at first. I have made copious notes and even took the book away with me this weekend, then left it behind. Fortunately I only had a few more pages to read and I shall have it back next weekend. Pity as I'd hoped to refer to my notes as my new reading reminded of things which I'd previously read. But I did start putting a few thoughts together for my Blog. Gohlan & Brannick (2005, p3) cited that individuals had different definitions of action research. These definitions determine the kind of approach which individuals took, eg scientific or ontological and epistemological.

In undertaking action research there are critical points to bear in mind:

• It is the process in action, not about action
• It is a joint, self-governing process
• There is a cycle of actions and sometimes more which operate concurrrently
• Meta learning
• Premise reflection
• Rigour

I think I picked up a couple of other things too from reading Gibbs (2000)

Scientific research is quoted (Coghlan and Brannick, 2005) as having an ontological and epistemological base which allow researchers to validate their knowledge and theory. The main issue however is who decides the route and outcome of the action research and who should advantage from it, not the method or the way in which knowledge is gathered and produced.

I am beginning to notice that different cycles have similar components, but are labelled differently. Some researchers have different views on what the components should be and in these cases there appeared to be distinct differences.

I'll do some more on this in my next Blog.

However, have now started on Gibbs, G. (1988)Learning by Doing: A guide to teaching and learning methods. Further Education Unit, Oxford Brookes University. I was interested to read that most researchers do not take feelings into account in their reflective practice and Gibbs is one of the minority who does. I also wanted something which would be a contrast.
Gibbs(1987) ascribes to 6 steps which aid reflective practice, these elements make up a cycle which can be put repeatedly into practice.

They were:

• to describe what happened
• how individuals thought and felt
• weighing up the value of their work
• what they could have done better and what worked
• understanding what happened situation
• how it could be done (better) next time

Just a few thoughts......

Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment